Are you in the mood for a tasty German dinner recipe to enjoy one night this week? Then you will enjoy this delicious dinner recipe, made with two of the most popular German sausages – Knackwurst and Bratwurst. In addition, you can enjoy a special sweet flavor in the dish, by adding apples and dried cherries to the sauerkraut. The necessary ingredients are as follows:
- 8 Boars Head Bratwurst
- handful of dried cherries
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 400g. Sauerkraut
- 1 apple, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Now here is a step-by-step guide on how to make this delicious German sausage meal using the recipe…
1. Use a medium frying pan and cover it with a non-stick spray (preferably the one that has a butter flavor). Then for 10-12 minutes, let the wurst heat up nicely.
2. While the wurst is heating up, melt some butter and let the chopped apple and onion heat up in a separate large frying pan. Also add the balsamic vinegar to the pan as well.
It will take about 5-6 minutes until the onion looks opaque. Then rinse and drain the sauerkraut, in order to help remove the bitter flavor from it. It also helps drain the excess vinegar that was absorbed into it earlier.
3. Mix the sauerkraut with the heated up onions and apples, until it is fully mixed. Then stir it a few times while letting it fry on medium high for about 7 more minutes. By allowing the sauerkraut brown at the bottom, it helps add a nice and sweet caramel flavor to your dish.
4. Now add the cherries as well and stir well again.
5. Cool the sauerkraut for an extra two or three minutes, until you notice the cherries are plumping up.
Now your dish is ready and you can serve it immediately. Hope you enjoy this delicious German wurst dinner recipe with your family.